Tuesday, March 7, 2017

ECCC, DC Talent Workshop, and other stuff

In December I was able to pick up some work drawing double page spreads for an upcoming graphic novel.  It was a lot of fun and was paid work as well so that was nice.  Unfortunately, I'm not able to post the images online for some time.  I'm hoping that the online restriction is lifted soon because I would like to share them (and drum up some interest in the project, of course).


Since I have a full time non-art job, getting work like this can take up most of my extra time.  Not being able post the work makes my already tenuous social media presence vanish almost completely.  In hindsight, I need to do a better job of fitting in some simple sketches and things I can post when these project pop up.

This past weekend I was in Seattle for Emerald City Comic Con and attended a panel on self promotion featuring Claire Hummel, Irene Koh, Jen Bartel, and Paul Reinwand.  Very informative and gave me a bit of charge in regard to my own self promoting skills (or lack thereof).  If I can stay on task this blog (as well as other social media outlets) should see a lot more activity from me in the coming months.

Before I left for Seattle I finished five pages of pencils for this year's DC Comics Talent Workshop.  I started working on them shortly after finishing the work I mentioned above.  It seems like a great opportunity if selected but I was on the fence.  The website states that they want to see their own characters.  Creating samples of existing characters is a good exercise but you're not going to get paid for the work and it might keep you from another opportunity or even keep you from completing work you already have on your plate (which I do).  But, knowing that was going to be at ECCC in March I figured this was a good opportunity to create something that I could include in my portfolio.

I have access to some DC scripts but the website has three sample scripts posted as well.  I decided to use one of those.  The script I chose had the advantage of including a clear beginning, middle, and end.  When using an existing script it can be difficult to find a sequence of three to five pages like that.  Interestingly, this particular script doesn't feature existing characters.  There is one principal character and two supporting but the artist is on the hook for designing them.  There is a bit of direction on their appearances but it's not much.

Honestly, that was part of the fun.  Plus, the setting jumps quite a bit for a five page story so that provided an interesting challenge as well.

I'll post page one below and the rest of the next week or so.  Thanks for looking!

DC Comics Talent Workshop page 1


No comments:

Post a Comment